(Researched and published in December 2020)
There are 3 major symptoms of the coronavirus that affect many people in the world. If any of these symptoms appear in you, you should get your tests done immediately.
- New and persistent cough: Coughing lasting more than an hour, or cough attacks three times during 24 hours.
- Fever: Fever of 100 Fahrenheit or 37.8 Celsius
- Difference between sniffing and tasting: Loss of sense of smell and taste OR feeling a change in these senses.
If you’ve got any of these symptoms, get tested as soon as possible and don’t leave the house without any reason.
The other family members who live with you will also have to be isolated, at least until the test results are received.
It usually takes an average of at least 5 days from infection to the onset of symptoms.
If the test is positive then everyone in the house will need to isolate themselves.
Does COVID-19 have the same effect on everyone?
No. The corona virus can affect many organs and may cause minimal symptoms.
Using data collected from four million people, scientists have identified six more types. These are some of the symptoms.
- Flu without fever: cough, loss of sense of smell, headache, muscle aches, sore throat, chest pain
- Flu with fever: cough, fever, headache, loss of sense of smell, sore throat, hoarseness, loss of appetite.
- Upset Stomach: diarrhea, headache, sore throat, loss of sense of smell, loss of appetite, chest pain, no cough
- Fatigue: (1st degree of severity): headache, loss of sense of smell, cough, fever, hoarseness, chest pain, fatigue
- Anxiety: (2nd degree of severity): headache, loss of sense of smell, cough, sore throat, fever, hoarseness, loss of appetite, chest pain, fatigue, nervousness, and muscle aches
- Abdominal and Respiratory (3rd degree of severity): abdominal pain, cough, sore throat, fever, headache, chest pain, loss of sense of smell, loss of appetite, hoarseness, fatigue, nervousness and muscle aches, shortness of breath, Diarrhea.
Researchers believe that vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain in children may also be symptoms of the coronavirus.
Do I Have Covid-19, If I’ve Even A Cough?
Many other viruses also have Covid-like symptoms such as flu and other infections. This is a common problem in the winter when these viruses are quite common. So coughing doesn’t necessarily mean having Corona symptoms.
What should I do if I test positive?
If you test positive for Covid, you need to isolate/quarantine yourself for 10 days from the time symptoms first appeared.
You should also be separated from other members of your household for at least 14 days.
Most people have mild symptoms that can be treated with painkillers (paracetamol), resting and drinking plenty of fluids.
You need not go to a doctor, pharmacy or hospital in this case.
When Should People Go To The Hospital?
If your condition is extremely bad and is deteriorating, then you must immediately visit the hospital. These symptoms include shortness of breath and the inability to speak more than a few words. People with difficulty in breathing are put on oxygen.
Mostly very sick people need a ventilator where air is injected into the patient’s lungs.
Older people or people who already have medical problems such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. are more likely to get seriously ill.
How Can We Save Ourselves From The Pandemic?
The best thing you can do is wash your hands regularly, preferably with soap and water.
The corona virus is spread when infected people cough or sneeze, and drops of water contaminated with the virus pass through their mouths into the air. Then other people who breathe in the infected air or touch a surface where the drops fall, then they touch their mouths, noses or eyes and get infected as well.
Therefore, when coughing and sneezing, cover your face with a handkerchief, do not touch your face without washing your hands, and avoid close contact with infected people.
Always wear a face mask.
Maintain social distance.
Stay at home and avoid unnecessary public exposure.
7 thoughts on “Corona Virus: What are the symptoms of this disease and how to stay safe from it?”
Really nice helpful article and easy for understanding
LikeLiked by 1 person
Very well written and provides good information about corona
Very informative article written in easy to understand language. Images add visual appeal to the article. Keep contributing.
good informative article written in simple language
LikeLiked by 1 person